Practice Exam #14
1. Pedanius Dioscorides, a Greek physician and pharmacologist, was the author of:
A. The Canon of Medicine
B. De Materia Medica
C. Caraka Samhita Sutr
D. The Pharmacopeia
2. From the following, select the German pharmacist who first extracted morphine from opium:
A. Louis Pasteur
B. William Withering
C. Frederich Serturner
D. Frederick Banting
3. One of the first practitioners of “trial and error” drug testing:
D. Shen Nung
4. Which of the following is credited with being the founder of medicine?
5. Widespread use of acetylsalacylic acid began in:
6. Which of the following is derived from the Cinchona?
A. Jesuit's Powder
B. Peruvian Bark
D. all of the above
7. The Human Genome Project began in:
8. Introduced as a local anesthetic by Karl Koller in 1884:
D. chloral hydrate
9. Instrumental in demonstrating the effective use of pork insulin in patients with Type 1 diabetes:
A. Moses Barron and Frederick Banting
B. Charles Best and Jonas Salk
C. Alexander Fleming and William Withering
D. Frederick Banting and Charles Best
10. Of the following scientists, who was the first to devise a series of tests used to assess the germ theory of disease?
A. Robert Koch
B. Albert Sabin
C. Russell Marker
D. Edward Jenner
11. Who introduced, what is now the United States, to the idea of inoculation?
A. Louis Pasteur
B. Karl Koller
C. Francis Crick
D. Zabdiel Boylston
12. Although acacia gum was used for birth control as early as 1850 BCE, the birth control “pill” was not approved in the United States until:
13. Galen's understanding of anatomy and medicine was principally influenced by
A. the four humors
B. germ theory
C. Muhammad ibn Zakariya al-Razi
14. Which of the following, isolated by Albert Schatz in 1943, was found to be effective against tubercle bacillus?
15. Who conducted experiments, showing that microorganisms cause food spoilage, leading to the acceptance of germ theory?
A. William Withering
B. Louis Pasteur
C. Claudius Galen
D. Jonas Salk
16. Which of the following is not one of the four humors of Hippocratic medicine?
A. black bile
C. white bile
17. Who is credited with being the first person to believe that diseases were caused naturally and not as a result of superstition or gods?
18. All of the following are pharmacopeia, except:
A. Shen Nung Pen Tsao
B. Ebers Papyrus
C. Antidotum Mithridaticum
D. United States Pharmacopeia
19. Who is considered the Greek god of Medicine?
20. Who published a study on the use of the foxglove plant for treatment of heart disease?
A. Alexander Fleming
B. Jonathan Stokes
C. William Withering
D. Abraham Gottlob Werner